Vattenfall is placing another piece into the climate puzzle by starting off the construction work of its third wind farm in the UK in eighteen months. The Ormonde Wind Farm in the Irish Sea has now formally been kicked off.
- We are delighted to announce that we have begun the construction of our latest UK based wind farm. The Ormonde Offshore Wind Farm had its first foundation piles installed at the weekend. The construction work is due for completion during 2011 and first power is expected later that year, says Anders Dahl, Head of Vattenfall Wind Power.
The Ormonde Offshore Wind Farm is situated 10 km off Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. On completion the wind farm will comprise 30 RePower 5 MW wind turbines. This is sufficient to supply approximately 100,000 homes with clean electricity annually. Over the next year, Vattenfall will continue to look at opportunities to use local facilities and personnel. During the operational phase a number of long-term jobs will be created at the control, operations and maintenance base built within Barrow port.
- The giant 5 MW turbines will make a substantial contribution to supply a large number of households with clean electricity. This supports EU and UK targets for renewable energy as well as our own ambitions to reduce harmful emissions and to reach climate neutrality by 2050, says Anders Dahl.
Vattenfall is constructing nine wind farms in six countries 2009-2011
- Double electricity generation from wind
- An important cornerstone in its ambition to reduce harmful emissions and to reach climate neutrality by 2050
- Investments of 2 billion Euros in total
Three wind farms are currently being constructed in the UK
- The Ormonde Wind Farm
- The Thanet Wind Farm
- The Edinbane Wind Farm
The Ormonde Offshore Wind Farm project is helping to secure jobs in the UK
- Fife–based Burntisland Fabrications for its innovative steel platform
- BiFab steel jackets
- Harland & Wolff for the logistic and assembly services
The control, operations and maintenance base will be built in Barrow port
For further information, please contact:
Ingegerd Bills, Head of Communications, Vattenfall Wind Power,
telephone: +46 8 739 70 77 or +46 70 539 70 77.
From Vattenfall's Press Office, telephone: +46 8 739 50 10, email@example.com.
Press release in pdf format