Vattenfall has been operating Thanet Offshore Wind Farm for 6 years. When it was built it was the world’s largest wind farm, and since that time it has produced enough renewable energy to power around 220,000 UK homes per year.*
Why extend Thanet Offshore Wind Farm?
We know that extension projects can deliver multiple benefits:
- They can deliver lower cost renewable energy because we can benefit from:
- shared operations and maintenance approaches,
- our knowledge of constructing and operating in the area,
- the latest turbine technology.
- They allow us to build on our existing investment – in the local community and in a local workforce
Here is a timeline of key dates:
We intend to connect to the grid at Richborough, and there are two potential cable routes being explored at this stage – from Pegwell Bay to the north and from Sandwich Bay to the south. Whichever route is chosen, all cables would be buried underground.
We want to hear your feedback on our proposal, the cable route options and also your views on how we can minimise disruption and impacts during construction. At the local sessions, there will be maps and visuals available to help you consider the project, as well as members of our project team on hand to answer your questions. We hope you can make it. Find out more about the upcoming events here. You can also get involved online by clicking here.